The project included 25,000 sq ft of historical restoration and renovation within a 10-story town home built in 1929. With an aggressive 13-month schedule, careful coordination and teamwork were required. Structural demolition of the all-concrete building required the subcontractor to work in unison with the structural steel trades to remove 54% of the top floors and 60% of the lower museum floors. The existing stair tower and fire escape in the building were removed, which made vertical access extremely difficult. Interior cranes and a temporary wooden ladder system were used to provide access to all floors. Because of jobsite restrictions, a 3D model was created to replicate the existing structure, ensuring that the staircase would fit when it arrived on site.
Ford's Theatre Center for Education & Leadership Washington, D.C. Key Players
General Contractor: James G. Davis Construction, Rockville, Md.
Owner: Ford’s Theatre Society, Washington, D.C.
Lead Design: Martinez + Johnson Architecture, Washington, D.C.
Masonry: Worcester Eisenbrant Inc., Baltimore
Glazing: TSI/Exterior Wall Systems, Landover, Md.
Plumbing/HVAC: Tyler Mechanical Contracting, Ijamsville, Md.
Submitted by James G. Davis Construction